Saturday, October 19, 2013

(Knitting) Basic Footie Sock


As the Archaeological field season has begun to narrow with the winter months fastly approaching, I've been filling some of my time honing my knitting skills. These are my second attempt at making socks, my first attempt (here) turned out a little small for my feet, and the original pattern of these where way too big for my size 9 foot. However, I didn't give up, I actually modified the original pattern in a way that allowed me to use the materials I already had on hand, instead of going out and buying more. Below I have provided a link to the original pattern (which is free) if you want to follow those instructions, or I have also provided my modified pattern that I wrote out for you and my future use.

Skill Level: Intermediate
Needles used: 5 double pointed needles size: 3 or 4
Yarn type: 

Start Sock
CO 48, divide among 4 double pointed needles (12 st each). Join, [don't twist]. K1, place marker, P1, repeat <K1,P1>, till ribbing measures 3/4". K1 one rnd.


Shape Heel
Rnd 1: (RS) Sl1, K23, turn, leave remaining 24 st on other two needles unworked. Drop marker.
Rnd 2: (WS) Sl1, P23, turn, Rep last 2 rows 10 times.

Turn Heel
Rnd 1: Sl1, K14, K2tog, K1, turn - 23 st
Rnd 2: Sl1, P7, P2tog, P1 turn - 22 st
Rnd 3: Sl1, K8, K2tog, K1, turn - 21 st
Rnd 4: Sl1, P9, P2tog, P1 turn - 20 st
Rnd 5: Sl1, K10, K2tog, K1, turn - 19 st
Rnd 6: Sl1, P11, P2tog, P1 turn - 18 st
Rnd 7: Sl1, K12, K2tog, K1, turn - 17 st
Rnd 8: Sl1, P13, P2tog, P1 turn - 16 st


Gusset
K across 16st of heel flap, Pickup and K10 st along left edge of heel flap, make 1, place marker. K24, place another marker, make 1, pickup and K10 st on right side. K 8 on needle with heel flap (should be halfway on heel flap<19st on each needle>).

Gusset Decrease
*K till 2st remain on left side, K2tog. K across other two needles, K2tog, K on right side to middle of heel flap. K one rnd. repeat * until 12st remain on each needle

K in the round till your sock measures 1 1/2" from your desired length.

Shape Toe
Rnd 1: Staring at heel K till 3st from end of needle one, K2tog, K1. On second needle K1, SSK, K till 3st remain on third needle, K2tog, K1. K1, SSK on fourth needle and K to end of rnd.
Rnd 2: K one rnd. repeat these two rnds until you have 24st total.

Divide onto 2 needles [12st per needle]
Cut yarn at about 18" to weave ends in using Kitchener stitch.


Keep those feet warm, and hands busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment